Avoiding Personal Injury During The Holidays
No matter if you’re traveling abroad or staying at home in Miami this holiday season, you’ll want to have a safe time. It’s important to think about how to avoid personal injury accidents and keep you and your family safe. The holiday season brings a jumble of festivities and activity, which increase the incidents of many accidents like ladder falls and car collisions. It’s important to prioritize safety as a top priority when visiting family and friends, decorating your home, and cooking for groups. Read on for some tips to avoid personal injury accidents during the busy holidays.
Tips For Safe Driving
There’s a lot of people on the road driving to see family, friends, and loved ones during the holiday season. To avoid potential car accidents, here are some tips:
- To prevent a distracted driving accident, avoid using your phone when you’re driving
- Be aware of distracted pedestrians, particularly when you’re driving through crowded shopping center parking lots
- When going to holiday parties with alcohol, call a ride or have a designated driver so you don’t drink and drive
- Make sure every passenger in your car, especially your children, are wearing a seat belt or properly restrained in a booster or car seat.
- Don’t try to drive for longer than you’re capable of; change drivers or pull over if you get drowsy while driving.
When preparing a holiday feast, keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Make sure to wash your hands constantly when cooking or handling food
- Never rinse raw meat, particularly poultry, prior to cooking since it can easily spread bacteria to your kitchen counter or sink.
- Check that all meat is cooked appropriately and all foods are refrigerated properly within two hours to prevent foodborne illness.
- Keep children away from hot burners and anything cooking on the stove.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are functioning well before cooking
- Stay in the kitchen whenever you have anything cooking on the stove
Decorating Your Home Safely
Ladder falls and other home decoration accidents peak at this time of year, so here are some things to keep in mind while preparing your home for the holidays:
- Try to use a stepladder when hanging items in your home rather than an unwieldy box or piece of furniture
- When using a ladder to hang outdoor decorations, always face the ladder and don’t try to move it while standing on it
- Check holiday lights for loose connections oor frays prior to hanging them since they can be fire hazards
- Keep potentially poisonous plants away from pets and children, especially certain kinds of Poinsettias.
- Make sure your Christmas tree isn’t a fire hazard by watering it regularly and making sure any fake trees have a fire-retardant label.
Contact Us Today
Izquierdo & Leon is dedicated to helping Fort Lauderdale families enjoy safe, healthy, and happy holidays. If an accident does unfortunately occur, you may need an experienced personal injury attorney on your side. Call Izquierdo & Leon today to schedule an appointment with an expert personal injury lawyer today!